How to approach an interview problem in a coding interview ?
Most of the times the candidate know the answer but still struggle to solve the question and mess up everything .U know why ? Just because the way he approached the problem was wrong .
Based on our experience here we have mentioned a sequence of steps which you I think is the best way to approach a problem in a technical interview.
This is how you should go about solving the problem once the interviewer gives you the question.
- Think carefully about the problem and clarify if you have any doubt
- Clarify various constraints which can be there don’t just assume things.Like for a question “write a program to sort a list” some valid questions can be :
- what kind of datatype the list is holding ? (Interviewer: Integers)
- Is this list holding number in a specific range?(Interviewer : Yes)
- Am I allowed to use extra space(Interviewer : Yes)
- So see now you can comeup with an O(n) solution using counting sort.
- Prepare a rough draft of your code .Which will have what classes will be involved in the solution , what methods will be there and the basic flow
- Most of the interviewers are trained to take interviews , so if you are going in wrong direction he will give you hints try to catch those hints .
- Write the final code
- Before giving your solution to the interviewer do a dry run .Test it yourself specially on boundary cases
Still have some doubt ,feel free to contact us.We will be happy to help you.